Former chiropractor sentenced for sexually abusing patients
Published 4:27 am Tuesday, December 20, 2016
- <p>Adam Lopez</p>
Adam Lopez, a former chiropractor convicted in November of sexually abusing four patients, was sentenced Monday to 180 days in jail and five years of probation by Circuit Court Judge Philip Nelson.
Eighty of those days are guaranteed jail time, with 100 eligible for alternative incarceration such as community service. Lopez will also register as a sex offender for life, undergo treatment, have no contact with the victims and not be allowed to work as a chiropractor or in any position that involves direct physical contact with women.
Lopez, who has not acknowledged any crimes in the current case, already pleaded guilty in 2014 to sexually harassing eight female patients during appointments dating back to 2009. He was sentenced to one year of jail and is still on probation.
The sentencing Monday was emotionally charged, with Lopez’s family and supporters on one side of courtroom, and the victims, family, friends and members of the District Attorney’s Office on the other.
All four victims testified about the damage Lopez’s actions have had on their lives.
“He humiliated me,” one victim said, crying as she spoke through a translator about how Lopez’s actions had caused harm to her family and her psychological well-being.
Another, also stopping to cry while speaking, said she has had to remember that day in Lopez’s office for years. “I am here for closure,” she said, thanking the District Attorney’s Office for prosecuting.
One victim directly addressed Lopez. She admonished him for claiming to be a good Christian while not acknowledging what he did. Lopez looked back at her as she spoke.
“I’m glad you’re looking at me, because you’re a liar,” she said, adding that God would judge him if he did not acknowledge his crimes, repent, and turn against his evil ways.
Lopez declined to comment in court, submitting a letter before the hearing asking for a lesser sentence.
“I have been released from jail for the last 20 months and have not had any (incidents) for concern with the authorities, nor do I feel that I am a threat to the community,” he said in the letter.
Lopez asked to be registered as a sex offender only while on probation. He also asked that in lieu of jail time, he be allowed to do community service part of the week and work the other part to help cover his expenses, having lost his chiropractor’s license, along with multiple commercial and rental properties. He had already violated his probation by failing to pay $5,000 in restitution to each of his eight previous victims.
Lopez’s two children and a friend from the Astoria First Assembly of God testified about Lopez’s character and the impact the charges have had on he and his family.
His daughter, Pilar, said community service would better serve her father, who had apologized to his family for the trouble the case has caused them. That led Deputy District Attorney Ron Brown, lead prosecutor for the state, to ask what her father had said about his charges.
“He doesn’t believe he did it,” she replied, adding her father told her he never would have done anything intentionally.
“I see no threat to the community from my father,” his son Adan said. “I feel like community service would be more useful.”
Lopez faced up to a year in jail for each of his seven counts of sexual abuse, all class A misdemeanors. During sentencing, Nelson said he has seen many divisive cases, and knows people on both sides of Lopez’s case. But he said six jurors had put considerable effort into reaching their verdict last month.
“As I read Lopez’s letter, it strikes me that he doesn’t show any empathy to the four victims,” Nelson said, admonishing the defendant for not apologizing.
“I just don’t think you get it at all that what you did was horrible,” Nelson said.
Steven Sherlag, Lopez’s lawyer, asked that Lopez’s seven counts be condensed to four — one for each victim, instead of those based on different alleged incidents. Brown combined the last two of Lopez’s seven counts.
Nelson gave the prosecution 60 days to create the terms of financial resolution for counseling and other expenses related to Lopez’s actions. Lopez has 30 days to appeal his conviction.
“It’s time to start serving that sentence,” Nelson said, remanding Lopez to jail immediately.
After Nelson left, Lopez was handcuffed in front of his family and led to the jail.
Brown said he understood why Nelson gave Lopez much less than the year in jail he could have received on each count of sexual abuse.
“He didn’t do that because we don’t have enough space,” Brown said, adding prosecutors always have to keep the jail’s matrix — a point system used to release less dangerous inmates to alleviate overcrowding — in mind when seeking sentences.
Brown prosecuted a similar case against Donald Hughes, a masseuse at the Cannery Pier Hotel sentenced in July to 120 days in jail and five years probation for sexually abusing a client. His abuse was also a misdemeanor.
“It’s just really a shame the (Oregon) Legislature doesn’t create a felony for being abused by a professional,” he said, adding medical professionals operate based on trust. “The only way someone can go to prison on something like this is if there was force involved.
“If you’re awake and the doctor or masseuse or whoever gropes you, it’s just a misdemeanor.”